I had the privilege of attending a Denise Schmidt (http://www.dsquilts.com/) quilting class last spring. It was an amazing experience, even the train ride from New York to her studio in Bridgeport, CT was delightful. I incorporated my patchwork squares from this class into a quilt, still a work in progress, so no photos yet, but it's nearly finished.
Monday, December 15
I made my friends wedding cake! After many, many trial runs and force-feeding friends samples of frosting, it's finished! I used the book Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson; although in retrospect I think it was a bit too detailed for what I needed. Aka, this cake, and particularly the frosting, were built to withstand extreme temperatures, but the wedding was in the Fall in Brooklyn, so perhaps not necessary. I made white and dark chocolate leaves interspersed with the roses for decoration.
Tuesday, November 11
This is a little knitting needle case that I made, using a pattern from the book Stitch and B*tch. It allows you to customize the pockets so they fit your needles exactly. I used Japanese fabric for the interior and soft as butter, turquoise suede fabric (recycled from a dress I never wore) for the outside, so it's very durable.
Here are a few coasters, made from Japanese fabric pack containing a gorgeous array of 4" squares, purchased at City Quilter in NYC. I used a temporary basting spray (which I adore and use for all my quilts, no more hand or pin basting for me!) to attach the batting to one side of the coasters and then simply stitched them up as you would a pillow.
This quilt was made from the same pattern as my black & white quilt, by Denise Schmidt. This is actually the very first quilt I ever made. I later learned (in quilting class taught by Joelle Holverson of Purl Patchwork) that "solids allow your quilt to breath", an important lesson, as I was imagining a sophisticated quilt when I'd picked out my fabrics. This ended up with a more tropical, fun feel to it.
This is a crazy log cabin quilt, inspired by another adorable baby in my life, Maxwell. I simple cut small strips of various fabrics and sewed them onto fondation squares. This was a fun, creative process, although a bit tedious as I'd cut very tiny pieces of fabric, but I think that added something to the finished piece.
Here is a close up shot of one of the squares.
Another small quilt, designed for a baby, inspired by my cousin's daughter Riley. Making this was a fun process, as I just used fabrics I had on hand and allowed my idea/vision to evolve as I went along. I'm finding that method works best for me (at times I do run out of fabric, but I view it as one of the hazards of creativity).
Here's a close up. The striped fabric in the center is by Alexander Henry, one of my favorites! I had it long arm quilted by New Pieces in Berkley, CA and was very pleased with their work. http://www.newpieces.com/about.php